Welcome to Dr. Chaudhuri's Lab
Dr. Chaudhuri holds Associate Professor positions in the Departments of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, and Institute of Material Sciences (IMS) at the University of Connecticut. He is formally trained in Chemical and Mechanical Engineering disciplines and focuses on solving problems of pharmaceutical significance with a rigor of engineering approaches.
Dr. Chaudhuri’s research program is primarily focused on unraveling the behavior of granular material which poses fundamental conceptual challenges. His group's research is focused on unraveling the fundamentals of pharmaceutically relevant soft matter and complex fluid systems, which has a direct effect on the economy and the health of our nation’s citizens. His group is involved in developing experimentally validated multi-scale (quantum, molecular, meso and machine scales) computer models related to pharmaceutical manufacturing. He also garnered extramural funding and initiated research with several collaborators in new paradigms of pharmaceutical manufacturing (Continuous Manufacturing of complex dosage forms, and 3D printing of solid dosage forms), lyophilization, and drug delivery enhancement (in pulmonary and peritoneal cavity) using combination of experimental and high performance computer modeling approaches.
He got his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from New Jersey Institute of Technology after obtaining his MS and BS both in Chemical Engineering from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and Jadavpur University, Calcutta respectively. He performed postdoctoral research in Pharmaceutical Engineering at Rutgers University and has 3 years of industrial experience in Telecommunication and Computer Graphics Industries. He has published more than 60 peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, conference proceedings and delivered 22 invited talks in industry, academia and conferences in US and abroad. His graduate students and postdoctoral fellows have presented more than 125 podium and poster presentations at state, national and international conferences. He acts as an editorial board member for Advanced Powder Technology, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and several other international journals in the areas of fluid mechanics, drug design, pharmaceutical sciences, pharmacokinetics and chemical engineering. His research has been funded by federal grants, companies, industries and private foundations. He has consulted to several pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and engineering companies. He actively participates in activities of the professional societies, such as AIChE, ISPE, ASME, AAPS, AACP, NAMF, and ACS whilst organizing several international conferences. He received both Research Starter Award and Sabbatical Fellowship Award from PhRMA Foundation of America, and Young Investigator Award from FDA. Congressman Joe Courtney applauded the research efforts of Chaudhuri-Group in United States Congressional Report in 2011.
- Congratulations to Sameera Sansare for awarded prestigious ISPE Scholarship! Check some photos here! (September 17, 2019)
- Congratulations to Dr. Bruna Minatovicz for a successful doctoral dissertation defense! Check some photos here! (August 16, 2019)
- Graduate Student Koyel Sen won the highly competitive and prestigeous Best Poster Award at Particle Technology Forum Poster Session at the Annual Meeting of AIChE held in Pittsburgh, PA on October 30th, 2018. The poster title was - Experimentally Validated Computational Models to Predict the Impact of Humidity on the Flow of Pharmaceutical Mixtures
- New Funding from Takeda Pharmaceuticals, Development of a CFD-DEM model of Pharmaceutical Unit OperationsPI: B. Chaudhuri, September 2018 to March 2020.
- New Funding from NSF-CPPR: Experimentally validated CFD-DEM model of multicomponent, multiphase flow modeling of a fluidized bed dryer, PI: B. Chaudhuri, Jan 2019 to December 2020.