Welcome to Dr. Chaudhuri's Lab
Dr. Chaudhuri holds Professor positions in the Departments of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, and Institute of Material Sciences (IMS) at the University of Connecticut. He is formally trained in Chemical and Mechanical Engineering disciplines and focuses on solving problems of pharmaceutical significance with a rigor of engineering approaches.
Dr. Chaudhuri's group's research is focused on unraveling the fundamentals of pharmaceutically relevant soft matter and complex fluid systems (granular materials, aerosols, suspensions etc), which has a direct effect on the economy and the health of our nation’s citizens. His group is involved in developing experimentally validated multi-scale (quantum, molecular, meso and machine scales) computer models related to pharmaceutical manufacturing. He also garnered extramural funding and initiated research with several collaborators in new paradigms of pharmaceutical manufacturing (Continuous Manufacturing of complex dosage forms, and 3D printing of solid dosage forms), lyophilization, and drug delivery enhancement (in pulmonary and peritoneal cavity) using combination of experimental and high performance computer modeling approaches.
He got his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) after obtaining his MS and BS both in Chemical Engineering from Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and Jadavpur University (JU), Calcutta respectively. He performed postdoctoral research in Pharmaceutical Engineering at Rutgers University and has 3 years of industrial experience in Telecommunication and Computer Graphics Industries. He has published more than 65 peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, conference proceedings and delivered 45 invited talks in industry, academia and conferences in US and abroad. His graduate students and postdoctoral fellows have presented more than 125 podium and poster presentations at state, national and international conferences. He acts as an editorial board member for Advanced Powder Technology, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and several other international journals in the areas of fluid mechanics, drug design, pharmaceutical sciences, pharmacokinetics and chemical engineering. His research has funded by federal agencies, pharmaceutical/chemical/
- Our recent publication on Computational modeling of fluidized beds with a focus on pharmaceutical applications: A review in Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences! Check the publication here!(September 20, 2021)
- Our recent publication on Pharmaceutical applications of powder-based binder jet 3D printing process - A review in Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews! Check the publication here!(October 19, 2021)
- Our recent publication on Artificial Neural Networks in Tandem with Molecular descriptors as Predictive tools for Continuous Liposome Manufacturing in International Journal of Pharmaceutics! Check the publication here!(June 15, 2021)
- Our recent publication on Use of a Design of Experiments (DoE) Approach to Optimize Large-Scale Freeze-Thaw Process of Biologics in AAPS PharmSciTech! Check the publication here!(May 12, 2021)
- Our recent publication on Impact of powder-binder interactions on 3D printability of pharmaceutical tablets using drop test methodology in European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences! Check the publication here!(February 13, 2021)
- Our recent publication on Discrete Element Modeling (DEM) based investigation of tribocharging in the pharmaceutical powders during hopper discharge in International Journal of Pharmaceutics! Check the publication here!(January 26, 2021)
- Our recent publication on Molecular Dynamics Simulation to Uncover the Mechanisms of Protein Instability During Freezing in Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences! Check the publication here!(January 07, 2021)
- Our recent publication on Binder-Jet 3D printing of Indomethacin-laden pharmaceutical dosage forms can be accessed in Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences! Check the publication here!(October 01, 2020)
- Our recent publication on Formulation design for inkjet based 3D printed tablets can be accessed in International Journal of Pharmaceutics! Check the publication here!(June 30, 2020)
- Our recent publication is the main feature of the Journal of Pharm. Sci! Check the publication here!(April 28, 2020)
- Congratulations to Dr. Koyel Sen for a successful doctoral dissertation defense! Check some photos here! (January 14, 2020)
- Congratulations to Sameera Sansare for awarded prestigious ISPE Scholarship! Check some photos here! (September 17, 2019)
- Congratulations to Dr. Bruna Minatovicz for a successful doctoral dissertation defense! Check some photos here! (August 16, 2019)
- Graduate Student Koyel Sen won the highly competitive and prestigeous Best Poster Award at Particle Technology Forum Poster Session at the Annual Meeting of AIChE held in Pittsburgh, PA on October 30th, 2018. The poster title was - Experimentally Validated Computational Models to Predict the Impact of Humidity on the Flow of Pharmaceutical Mixtures
- New Funding from Takeda Pharmaceuticals, Development of a CFD-DEM model of Pharmaceutical Unit OperationsPI: B. Chaudhuri, September 2018 to March 2020.
- New Funding from NSF-CPPR: Experimentally validated CFD-DEM model of multicomponent, multiphase flow modeling of a fluidized bed dryer, PI: B. Chaudhuri, Jan 2019 to December 2020.
Lab Contact Info
|Address:||University of Connecticut - School of Pharmacy|
69 North Eagleville Road, Unit 3092
Storrs, Connecticut 06269-3092